Friday, January 15, 2016

Ain Syahidah's Story

   “Aren’t  you  going  in?”  Ella  asked   me  after  she  came  out  of  the  room.  I  didn’t miss  the  sympathy  on  her  face  when  I  shook  my head.  She  sighed,  nodded  in  understanding  and  sat  beside  me.

   “It’ll  be  over,  you  know?”  Those  words  made  my  eyes  filled  with  tears  for  what  felt  like  the  millionth  time  that  day.  “But  there’s  two  ways  for  it  to  end,”  I  would’ve  been  embarrassed  for  choking  on  my  words,  but  this  was  completely  a  different  situation.  Everybody  was  allowed  to  have  a  breakdown  here

    Ella,  who  realized  her  bad  choice  of  words,  cursed  silently  and  sighed.  She  then  continued  to  soothed  my  back.  Negative  thoughts  crossed  my  mind  made  me  feel  hopeless  and  cried  harder  for  my  husband.

   Yes, my husband.

   He  was  in  that  very  room  specifically  called  the  Intensive  Care  Unit  (ICU),  battling  for  his  life.  And  it  was  all  because  of  me.  It  was  my  fault.  I  was  too  stubborn  that  it  cost  my  husband’s  life.

   If  only  I  could  turned  back  time.  If  only  I  could  trade  places  with  him.  If  only life  was  on  sale.  If  only…

   But  it  was  impossible.  Then  again,  the  blame  was  on  me.  He  was  just  being  the  perfect  husband  he  was.

   I  was  at  work  when  the  hospital  called  me, or  Ella,  to  be  specific,  since  I was  in  a  meeting  at  that  time.  My  heart  fell  when  I  heard  the  news.  Not  only  I,  was  the  cause  of this,  I  also  didn’t  hear  the  bad  news  myself.

   Ella  offered  to  drive  for  me  as  I  was  not  in  a  good  condition  to  drive,  but  clearly  I  blocked  my  hearing  because  I  rushed  to  the  driver  seat  and  Ella  took  the passenger  seat,  not  wanting  to  argue  with  me.  I  picked  up  my  son  from  home  then  raced  to  the  hospital,  ignoring   my  son’s  questions,  El’s  protest  and  the  traffic  lights.

   I  let  Ella  took  over  the  car  to  find  parking  spot  whilst  my  son  and  I  rushed  to  the  emergency  room  where  my  husband  was.  I  was  going  to  bombard  the  doctor  with  questions  when  he  came  out,  but  he  beat  me  to  it,  “We  cannot  guarantee  you  the  outcome,  yet,  ma’am.  We’ll  do  our  best  to  help  him  out  of  this  mess. The  heart  attack  was  quite  severe  and  he’s  got  internal  bleeding  in his  head  and  stomach.  We  have  to  wait  sometime to  operate  him.”

   That  made  me  dropped  on  my  knees,  my  chest  hurt  as  if  there  was  hundreds  of  needles piercing  through  it.  And then,  I  found  myself  crying  in  the  arms  of  my  son,  who  was  also  crying,  though  silently.

   That  morning,  Ren  had  told  me  to  work  from  home  because  he  didn’t  want  to  be  alone.  It  was  weird  to  see  him  acted  like  that,  but  I shrugged  it  off  and  refused  the  idea  because  I  had  to  attend  an  important  meeting.  He also  tried  to  let  my  son  skipped  school  to  accompany  him  at  home,  but  I  didn’t  let  him  because  Carson  was  already  absent  earlier  that  week  due  to  flu.

   He  tried  to  coerce  me  into  giving  in  but  I  had  none  of  it.  Carson  was  not   going  to  missed  another  day  full  of  lessons.  He  took  forever  to  catch  up  with  his  school  work.

   I  cried  harder  remembering  that  morning.  I  should’ve  listened  to  him.  He  was  my  husband!  I  chose  my  career  than  the  one  who  I  claimed  to  be  the  love  of  my  life! How  much  more  selfish  could  I  be?!?  I  should  be  tormented  as I  was  at  fault.  My  husband’s  heart  attack  never  was  this  severe  and  it  happened  rarely.  The  paramedic  assumed  that  the  internal  bleeding  was  because  he  fell  from  the  stairs.

   It  was  halfway  through  the  second  week  at  the  hospital  when  the  doctor  was  finally  able  to  stop  the  internal  bleeding  in  both  places.  Though  the  doctor  had  warned  me  that  Ren  wouldn’t  be  awake  just  yet,  I  couldn’t  help  but  worried  about  his  condition.  His  face  looked  like  an  old  man  in  just  fourteen  days.

   I  tried  to  be  the  strong  woman  Ren  always  called  me  when he  had  to  stayed  at  the hospital  before.  I  ushered  the  unwanted  thoughts  away  and  keep  praying  for  his  health.  For  his  life.  He  did  show  some  signs  to  let  us  knew  that  he  was  there  by  moving  his  fingers  lightly  though  he  was  still  unconscious.  The  action  wasn’t  that  visible,  but  it  couldn’t  go  unnoticed.

  My  son  and  I  were  able  to  keep  ourselves  together  by  the  fourth  week,  and  we  were  also  considered  as  strong,  because  on  Wednesday  morning,  Ren  took  his  last  breath.

   We  cried  silently  as  we  took  turns  kissing  his  forehead  before  letting  him  go  completely  to  the  unknown  world,  where  he  would  be  going  after  leaving  everything,  including  his  life  on  earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment